Information on Daily Life for International Students

Housing Information

Please click here for an application for international student dormitories.

International House Building A and B


International House Building A and B are university dormitories for international students and international research students who intend to study or conduct research at Gifu University for more than six months.

Available to Move-in
April and October
(additional acceptance will be conducted)
January (for move-in in April), July (for move-in in October)
Application should be sent to Faculty/Graduate School. Please refer to the bulletin board at each faculty/graduate office for dormitory information including vacancy, additional acceptance, etc.
International House
1-1 Yanagido, Gifu City, Gifu 501-1193
Phone: International House Building A: 058-293-3391; International House Building B: 058-293-2144
Lounge, room for table tennis, Japanese room, building manager room, etc.
Single room: bed, desk, chair, dresser, bookshelf, refrigerator, shoebox, air conditioner, toilet, unit bathroom (single room of Building A only), internet connection device, etc.
Couple and Family Room: All apparatuses provided for single accommodation, the unit bathroom, washing machine, vacuum cleaner, table, sofa, gas cooker, kitchen, etc.
Each floor: Laundry, communal kitchen and dining room, vacuum cleaners, shared shower room (floors for a single of Building B only), etc.
Room Rent
Total 90 rooms Common service expense, utilities and Wifi ¥4,000 (monthly payment)
Number of RoomsBuilding A (monthly payment)Building B (monthly payment)
For Single 69 rooms ¥5,900 31 rooms ¥4,700 38 rooms
For Couple 14 rooms ¥11,900 2 rooms ¥9,500 12 rooms
For Family 7 rooms ¥14,200 3 rooms ¥14,200 4 rooms

International House Building C


A single room of International House Building C is provided for international students who intend to study or conduct research at Gifu University for more than six months. The capacity of three single rooms is up to two people. An application may be filed through a supervisor. Please ask the supervisor for further details.

International House
1-1 Yanagido, Gifu City, Gifu 501-1193
Bed, futon, pillow, sheets, desk and chair, refrigerator, TV, washing machine & dryer, microwave oven, kitchen, separate bathroom and toilet (private bathroom for a single room), and air conditioner, etc.
Application Period
Short-term resident (stay less than one month): Apply at least two weeks prior to the move-in date
Long-term resident (stay one month or more): Apply at least one month prior to the move-in date
*If your application is delayed due to unavoidable circumstances, we may be able to accept it. However, please note that there is a possibility that we may not be able to meet your request.
Contact Us
International General Affairs Section, GU-GLOCAL
TEL: 058-293-3351 (extension 9691)

Gifu University-Designated Student Dormitory: U・TOPIA LAND Annex


Gifu University and U・TOPIA GROUP concluded a Memorandum of Understanding to secure and provide residence for international and Japanese students studying at Gifu University. Gifu University has designated U・TOPIA LAND Annex as a student dormitory offering students a safe and comfortable living environment near the campus.
Five rooms on each floor of U・TOPIA Land Annex (5-story building: a total of 25 units are open for rent) are used by students as “shared rooms.” Please fill in a residence application form, and ask your supervisor at Gifu University to give his/her signature for approval, and submit it to U・TOPIA GROUP (67-1, Nakahara, Furuichiba, Gifu City, Gifu).
U・TOPIA LAND Annex residents can pay their rent by cash or credit cards. The following are the names of six credit cards available: VISA, MasterCard, JCB, AMERICAN EXPRESS, Diners Club INTERNATIONAL, and UnionPay (Yinlian, "Ginren").

44-1 Takada, Furuichiba, Gifu City, Gifu
501-1124, Japan
67-1 Nakahara, Furuichiba, Gifu City, Gifu
501-1124, Japan
Phone: 058-239-2333, Fax: 058-234-6503
Application download: click here
Daily Rent
Starting from February 1, 2023, the usage fee for the U・TOPIA LAND Annex has changed as follows.
Additionally, from November 1, 2023, consumption tax will be added to the Flat-rate Utility Bills and Cleaning Fees.
Staying PlanNumber of Days of Residence (day)Daily Rent (yen)Flat-rate Utility Bills (yen)Cleaning Fee (yen)Total Rent (yen)
Less than One Month Plan 1 ¥3,500 ¥300 ¥2,000 ¥5,800
2 ¥7,000 ¥600 ¥2,000 ¥9,600
3 ¥10,500 ¥900 ¥2,000 ¥13,400
4 ¥14,000 ¥1,200 ¥2,000 ¥17,200
5 ¥17,500 ¥1,500 ¥2,000 ¥21,000
6 ¥21,000 ¥1,800 ¥2,000 ¥24,800
7 ¥24,500 ¥2,100 ¥2,000 ¥28,600
8 ¥28,000 ¥2,400 ¥2,000 ¥32,400
9 ¥31,500 ¥2,700 ¥2,000 ¥36,200
10 ¥35,000 ¥3,000 ¥2,000 ¥40,000
11 ¥38,500 ¥3,300 ¥2,000 ¥43,800
12 ¥42,000 ¥3,600 ¥2,000 ¥47,600
13 ¥45,500 ¥3,900 ¥2,000 ¥51,400
One Month Plan More than 14 ¥48,000 ¥9,000 ¥5,000 ¥62,000

*Internet charges are included in the daily fee.
*If you use the 1 month plan for multiple months, the cleaning fee will only be charged in the month you move out.
*Flat-rate utility bills include electricity, gas, and water bills.
*Refunds cannot be made due to changes in the period of stay (decrease in the number of nights).
*If you change the period of stay (additional number of nights), the difference will be charged separately.
*In addition to the above fees, a usage fee of 330 yen per day will be charged when using the parking lot.
*Acutual expenses may be charged if equipment of fixtures are significantly defaced or damaged.
Please inquire about the details of rent, additional costs directly to U・TOPIA LAND GROUP.

If you applied by January 31, 2023,
this price list will be applied.
*Click to display the old usage fee

Roponmatsu and Masaki Dormitory

Kurono Student Dormitory

Please contact the Student Affairs Division, Student Affairs Department. (TEL:058-293-3198)
For more information, please see the following website:
Kurono Student Dormitory (Japanese only)

Public and Private Housing

Public Housing
There are two types of public housing available in Gifu. One is “Gifu City Housing” and the other is “Gifu Prefectural Housing.” Please contact the Gifu Prefecture Housing Corporation for further information.
Gifu Prefecture Housing Corporation: TEL: 058-277-1045

Private Housing
Please contact Gifu University Co-op real estate agencies and seek information about private housing including boarding and apartment houses.

  • Comprehensive Renter's Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in Japan

    (Source: Website of Japan Educational Exchanges and Services (Excerpt and modification))
    This insurance protects against accident liability and mitigates the financial burden on guarantors* acting as joint sureties for rental contracts.
    In Japan, a guarantor* is required when renting a room. Comprehensive Renters' Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in Japan is available to foreign students when a school official acts as the guarantor.
    *Guarantors acting as joint sureties:
    This individual pays the landlord in the event that the foreign student (lessee) does not pay the rent or other charges. If the guarantor pays on the student’s behalf, the student (lessee) must reimburse the guarantor.
    This insurance is comprised of overseas travel insurance (① Liability insurance for foreign students and ② Insurance for a disability resulting from an injury) and a guarantors' protection fund (③ Guarantors' legal liability).

    【Period of indemnity】
    The coverage period is either one or two years depending on the student's period of stay. However, if the student is already enrolled, the coverage period can be extended by six months by filing the paperwork before the last day of the original coverage period.

    【Premiums and Other Expenses】
    Period of indemnity1 year2 years
    Premium ¥4,000 ¥8,000

    *6 months (extension):¥2,000

    Procedures of insurance subscription and insurance certificate issuance are taken by the Inbound and Outbound Student Affairs Office, GU-GLOCAL. Application form and example of application are also provided at the reception.
    Please make sure to renew the insurance contract before it is expired.
    If you intend to cancel the insurance contract for reasons of leaving the school or country, there may be cases where a premium for the unexpired period (two months or longer) of insurance is refunded to you. After the refund procedure is completed, the refund will be transferred into your bank account. Please notify the Office of the fact immediately when leaving the country because the procedure will take one month at the earliest.

    Please refer to the Comprehensive Renters’ Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in Japan, Japan Educational Exchanges and Services for further details.

  • Gifu University's Joint and Several Guarantee System

    In Japan, a guarantor* is required when renting a room. Gifu University Guarantor System is available to international students when a school official acts as the guarantor*. *Guarantors acting as joint sureties: This individual pays the landlord in the event that the foreign student (lessee) does not pay the rent or other charges. If the guarantor pays on the student’s behalf, the student (lessee) must reimburse the guarantor.

    【Parties entitled to indemnity】
    -Those who are enrolled in Gifu University (undergraduate, master’s student, doctoral student and graduate.) A letter of acceptance and a notification of acceptance are required for those who are planning to enter Gifu University. The contract takes effect from the date of admission.
    -Those who have the status of residence “Student.”
    -Those who take the Comprehensive Renters’ Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in Japan. In case of sharing rooms with other international students, please advise them to take the insurance.

    *The completion of the procedure will take 5 to 7 days.
    1. Please have your apartment real estate company or apartment owner confirm and consent to the content of the ”Joint and Several Guarantee Contract” before you proceed with the apartment contract.
    2. Please bring the following documents to the Inbound and Outbound Students Affairs Office.
    - Apartment rental contract (a copy is acceptable)
    - Inkan stamp (personal seal)
    - Student ID (Gifu University Entrance Certificate is acceptable for new students)
    - Residence Card
    - Bank Book
    - National Health Insurance Card (Those who hold short-term insurance, please obtain a new card of which valid is one year by paying all premiums at the city hall of your resident area.)
    3. Application Form (Example)
    Please obtain your academic supervisor's signature and seal with the Application for Guarantor and Policy Holder’s Certificate of Comprehensive Renter’s insurance for International Students Studying in Japan, and then come to the Inbound and Outbound Affairs Office.
    We will issue an insurance premium payment form. Please pay the premium at the MINI STOP convenience store and return to our office with a receipt.
    4. We will issue three original contract documents. Please bring these documents to your real estate agent or apartment owner and ask lessor’s signature and seal with three of them besides your signature and seal, and then bring one of them to our office.

    Please observe the following rules during the period that Gifu University acts as jointly and severally liable guarantor for the apartment. If you violate these rules, Gifu University will cancel this contract with you and beg you to move out of your apartment. For this reason, we are not able to become a guarantor to the students who made trouble even if the students move to another apartment.

    1. Please pay monthly apartment rent, utility (electricity, water) before the due day.
    2. Please remain enrolled in this policy throughout the period. Otherwise, Gifu University is not liable to act as your guarantor.
    3. Please improve your behavior if you receive any caution (troubles with handling garbage, disposal, noise, etc.)

    【Further necessary procedure throughout the period】
    Please come to the Inbound and Outbound Student Affairs Office for the following cases.
    - You are no longer a Gifu University student due to graduation (or program completion), withdrawal, transfer, move to an advanced course.
    - Before the Insurance is expired.
    - You will move to another apartment.
    - You caused issues with those around you such as fire, water leaks, etc.