Those who wish to study a specific subject of research at either undergraduate or graduate level may be admitted as a research student (Kenkyusei). A research student is not entitled to a Degree even upon completion of his/her research work. At Japanese universities, many applicants get admission as a research student first and prepare for an entrance examination to the graduate school.
1. Admission to Faculties or School (Bachelor's Programs)
(1) Those who have completed a 16-year course of school education overseas.
(2) Those who have graduated from a university/college in Japan after having completed 12 years of school education overseas.
(3) Those who have completed a 16-year course of school education overseas from correspondence education which is offered by a foreign institution in Japan.
2. Admission to Graduate Schools (Mater's Programs)
(1) Those who have obtained a master's degree in Japan.
(2) Those who have been awarded a degree equivalent to a master's degree by an overseas educational institution.
(3) Those who have been recognized by the graduate school concerned as being of academic ability equivalent or superior to those who have a master's degree.
3. Admission to Graduate Schools (Doctoral Programs)
(1) Those who have obtained a doctoral degree in Japan.
(2) Those who have been awarded a degree equivalent to a doctoral degree by an overseas educational institution.
(3) Those who have been evaluated by the graduate school as having academic capability equivalent or superior to a doctoral degree.
4. Admission to Educational and Research Institutes
For details, please contact the office of each educational and research institute. The admission requirements vary with the educational and research institute.
A student wishing to study as a research student, must submit the following documents to the faculty or department office concerned, after having been approved for admission by an prospective academic advisor usually, one of the professors whose academic research area completely or partially covers your academic interest.
The deadline for application may differ according to the faculty, school, graduate school or educational and research institute. For details, please ask the relevant faculty or department office.
It is necessary to complete the admission procedures well in advance, about 6 months before the starting day at Gifu University, because processing for entry into Japan requires a considerable amount of time.
(1) Application Form (prescribed form)
(2) Personal History (prescribed form)
(3) Certified academic records of each academic year of the last university/college attended
(4) Diploma or degree certificate of the last university/college attended
(5) Approval for applying to Gifu University from the present employer (if employed)
(6) Copy of Certificate of Residence obtained from the Japanese government local administrative office (only residents of Japan)
※Besides the documents above, you may need additional papers that your faculty/graduate school/research facility asks you to submit, thus please contact the administrative office of your faculty/graduate school/research facility.
For details about the method of selection, please contact the relevant faculty or department office.
Time of Admission
Time of admission for research students is normally the beginning of each academic year or semester, which is in April and October.
Period of Registration
A research student is basically admitted for the period from six months to one year (one or two semesters). The student may apply for an extension if it is necessary for the purpose of his/her study.
Please see the list of contact e-mail addresses (Faculty and Graduate Schools).
International students, whose institutions have a student exchange agreement with Gifu University, may be admitted as exchange students. Exchange students study at a faculty, school, graduate school or the Center for Japanese Language and Culture of Gifu University, remaining enrolled at their home institution.
For details on how to apply to come to Gifu University as an exchange student, please contact the person responsible for Exchange Program at your university.
Period of Study
Six months or one year
・From April to September
・From October to March
・From April to March
・From October to September
Type of Programs for Accepting Exchange Students
There are three programs from which you can choose in order to study at Gifu University as an exchange student.
1. Special Research Student (April-September, October-March)
2. Special Auditor (April-September, October-March)
3. Japanese Language and Culture Studies Course Student (October-August)
In deciding which program you want to enter, please consider carefully the purpose of your study and your Japanese language ability.
1. Special Research Students
Only graduate students can choose this program. You can research your topics at the graduate school and receive advice from a faculty supervisor. In general most classes are conducted in Japanese.
2. Special Auditors
Undergraduate students and graduate students can become Special Auditors. If the student's Japanese ability is equivalent to N2 or higher on the Japanese Language Proficiency Test, the students are required to be affiliated with one of the faculties, and study one academic field. They attend regular classes with Japanese students. Therefore, they must have the Japanese ability equivalent to N2 or higher on the Japanese Language Proficiency Test. In addition to regular classes, they can take Japanese language classes that the Center for Japanese Language and Culture offers. If the student's Japanese ability is lower than N2 on the Japanese Language Proficiency Test, the students are required to be affiliated with the Center for Japanese Language and Culture and study mainly Japanese language and culture. Students are placed to the most appropriate classes according to their Japanese ability.
3. Japanese Language and Culture Studies Course Students (with the Japanese ability equivalent to N2 or higher on the Japanese Language Proficiency Test)
The Center for Japanese Language and Culture provides a Japanese Language and Culture Studies Course. The aim of this program is to help you understand the language and culture of Japan. Applicants for this program must satisfy all the following qualifications and conditions;
1) you must be regular students in an undergraduate program,
2) must be in the second year or above,
3) must be majoring or double-majoring in Japanese language and Japanese studies, and
4) must have passed the N2 Japanese Language Proficiency Test or demonstrate equivalent proficiency in Japanese. This course starts in October.
Application Procedures for Exchange Students
a) Special Research Students and Special Auditors
You can download the application forms from here.
The deadlines for application to Gifu University are as follows;
April starters: Early in November
October starters: Early in April
Please note that the application should be filed via the relevant department of your home institution.
b) Japanese Language and Culture Studies Course Students
The application forms are sent to the specific partner institutions having an academic course which students are able to major in Japanese language and Japanese studies around the end of January, considering the student exchange agreement and the actual exchange. The deadline for application is early in April.
Note that the application should be filed via the relevant department of your home institution.
Please refer to the website of the Japanese Language and Culture Studies Course, Center for Japanese Language and Culture for details.